Posts for tag: Missing Teeth
Versatile crowns offer the ideal solution if you want to protect or transform your smile. Annapolis, MD, family dentists Drs. Louis, John, and Michael Ruland offer crowns and other restorations and services you need for good oral health.
What are crowns?
Multi-purpose crowns are just as effective at improving your appearance as they are strengthening damaged teeth. The hollow restorations look like natural teeth minus the roots. They're frequently made of porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal, ceramic, or resin. Before you receive a crown, your tooth must be reduced in size.
After decreasing the size of your tooth, your Annapolis family dentist will make an impression of your mouth, which the dental laboratory will use to create a crown that fits the space in your mouth perfectly. You'll leave the dentist's office with a temporary crown, which you'll swap for a permanent one in just about two weeks.
How can crowns help my smile?
Crowns can be used to:
- Repair Damage: Has your tooth chipped or fractured? Crowns restore the appearance and function of teeth and allow you to chew normally again.
- Strengthen Cracked Teeth: A crack in your tooth, even if it's small, increases your risk of a fracture. Crowns absorb biting forces and keep teeth from breaking.
- Protect Fragile Teeth: Whether your tooth is brittle or you've recently had a dental procedure that weakened it, such as a large filling or root canal, crowns offer an effective way to protect your smile.
- Improve Your Appearance: Crowns also offer cosmetic benefits. They can be used to lengthen teeth that are too short or conceal discolorations due to tetracycline usage, trauma, or other cause. Is one of your teeth crooked or twisted? Although braces might be the best choice to correct these issues in some cases, crowns can be a good choice if you have one or two oddly shaped teeth that don't affect your bite.
- Replace a Missing Tooth: Crowns can often be found in bridges, appliances used to replace missing teeth. Artificial teeth called pontics are securely anchored by crowns at either end of the bridge.
Could you benefit from a crown? Call Annapolis, MD, family dentists Drs. Louis, John, and Michael Ruland at (410) 268-5800 to schedule an appointment.